View Single Post
Old April 2, 2013, 08:35 AM   #15
Spats McGee
Staff

There were a few things that jumped out at me:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
But the package did not include everything that anti-gun forces had asked for.
My first reaction was: Holy cow! What else did they want?!? Then I read the bit about a total ban on "LCMs." I guess that was one other thing.

However, it looks like they'll get some action on those, too:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipartisan Task Force on Gun Violence Prevention and Children's Safety
Immediate ban on sale, purchase or importation of LCMs: effective on passage, it will be a class D felony to sell, buy, transfer or import an LCM into the state (other than to turn it in or trade it in to law enforcement or a licensed gun dealer). Going forward, possession of any LCM not possessed as of the effective date will be a class D felony.

LCMs that are currently possessed must be registered with DESPP by January 1, 2014 to remain legal, and even when registered will be subject to extremely strict usage limitations:
 Possession of such magazines must be declared to DESPP by January 1, 2014. After January 1, 2014, any LCM that has not been the subject of such a declaration cannot be legally possessed under any circumstances (even if it had been possessed before the effective date).
 Even with regard to such legally declared LCMs, upon passage the bill will immediately impose the following stringent limitations on their use:
o Except for in an individual’s home or on the premises of a shooting range, an LCM can never be loaded with more than 10 bullets.
o Even if an individual has a permit to carry a pistol or revolver, they can never carry, other than at a shooting range, a pistol that has an LCM loaded with more than 10 bullets.
o If an individual with a carry permit has a pistol that they purchased prior to the effective date that accepts an LCM, they can carry the LCM in that pistol, but only loaded with 10 bullets.
Moreover, under no circumstances can the LCM in such pistol extend below the pistol grip.
o If an individual has a pistol purchased after the effective date, an LCM can never be carried with that pistol other than at a shooting range. Instead, the individual must use only a magazine that takes 10 or fewer bullets in any pistol purchased from the effective date forward.
Hmmm, magazine registration. I don't know how they do things in CT, but around here, magazines don't usually have a serial number. I'd expect a requirement for numbering to come up soon.

Let's back up just a second to look at two particular provisions:
Quote:
o Except for in an individual’s home or on the premises of a shooting range, an LCM can never be loaded with more than 10 bullets.
o Even if an individual has a permit to carry a pistol or revolver, they can never carry, other than at a shooting range, a pistol that has an LCM loaded with more than 10 bullets.
Reading these two together, it looks like an outright ban on carrying a pistol loaded with an "LCM" loaded with more than 10 rounds in one's home. If the legislation reads as this document does, you could load your LCM with 11+ rounds, but you would be prohibited from carrying it in that condition.

Quote:
Moreover, under no circumstances can the LCM in such pistol extend below the pistol grip.
We're gonig to see some long dadgum grips on some pistols. . . I can think of several models in which the magazine extends a fraction of an inch below the pistol grip that (at least arguably) are about to become illegal. Besides, what if it's just a butt pad that sticks out beyond the grip? How are they going to measure? Butt pad? Bottom of the "sleeve?" Bottom of the bottom round of ammo?

Page generated in 0.02351 seconds with 8 queries