View Single Post
Old October 20, 2008, 07:33 PM   #14
Katrina Guy

BIG Jim, you're my kind of guy!

yes, I have a first aid kit (do it yourself kit from the drug store in a Sears zippered too bag from their tool dept.) and wow, I'm so impressed others besides me keep something in the car! I used to keep a mini fire extinguisher in the car too, did put out a couple fires in other people's cars.
SO we all learned from Katrina, you didn't have to survive it or live through it to learn, I preach that everyone have a good stock of emergency supplies on hand at all times for any emergency, beit natural or terrorist made. This last storm, Hurricane Ike, hit Houston bad, wind no flooding, everyone, the whole city for the most part, was out of power for days to weeks, I was out for six days. Poor saps waiting in line for ten hours (Camping overnight) for some government water ($5.00 worth), two bags of ice, and some DEluxe government tv dinners, while I didn't have to leave my abode during it all. Had plenty of light, radio, and canned goods plus a Coleman brand single burner propane stove to heat it up with. SO unprepared folks waited forever in line for five bucks worth of bottled water and some MRE's, all because they didn't prepare a head of time. A head of time preparing doesn't mean run to the store the night before and grab whatever crap is left on the store shelves either. The Red Cross has been preaching for years now that every American have enough emergency provisions to get by for three weeks, good advice!
REgarding signal flares, just something I would like to have in the emergency kit, probably never need it but would feel better having it. Thanks for the advice Big Jim on the expiration of said flare shells, good advice.
I love this forum, for the most part the posters seem to be people of common sense, which is the best of all senses no doubt.

Page generated in 0.03033 seconds with 8 queries