View Single Post
Old April 12, 2013, 05:25 PM   #9
duelist1954

I finished the Pedersoli flintlock pistol kit today. I'll still do a couple of more videos showing the rest of the process, but I thought I'd post a few pictures now.

Once again I demonstrated my ability to take $400 worth of parts and turn them into a gun worth $200. *

On the whole I'm pleased with the pistol, but I did pull some major boners.

First of all, a good sized sliver of wood broke off at the top of the right forearm, and it resisted all efforts to glue it back in place, so I have a decent dip there.

Then I cut the lips of the ramrod channel pretty low, which I wanted to do, but I didn't realize it would show off the inletting for the entry thimbal, which was done with a router.

This is the first gun I ever did lock beavertails for...or any molding for that matter. I figured it would be good practice for my rifle build. They certainly didn't come out perfect. I found the walnut very difficult to cut cleanly, compared to maple.

I tried a different outlining technique on each panel. On the lock panel I used a 3mm V gouge and on the side plate panel I used a knife. I had issues either way...ordered some books on carving because I have no clue...

Still, I'm not totally displeased with the pistol. I'm looking forward to shooting it.

Page generated in 0.03618 seconds with 8 queries