View Single Post
Old May 18, 2013, 07:41 AM   #14
Nathan

Quote:
. . . .I don't think a chronograph will help reloaders to develop a load for best accuracy. Only for the highest velocity. And seldom are both objectives met with the same recipe of components. There's too many competitive rifle shooters who win matches and set records with their handloads and do not use nor own a chronograph. And game animals will never know the difference between being smacked with a bullet arriving 50 fps faster or slower than another one.
This is an interesting point. That is why I use a chronograph. I find that the point where my standard deviation is minimized and I got best accuracy while testing is the point where I should set my load. This is because the 2 are related and I might have a small error in shooting, but the chrony usually does not make mistakes.

Using on paper results only caused me to load up 500 of a load before and wonder why it wasn't quite as accurate later on. After chrony, I don't have this issue.

So, how do you guys develop 2 variable loads. I usually pick one. Set the other variable at a best guess. Then develop the first variable. Then make a second set of loads to develop the other one. Trouble is the variables are interrelated!

Page generated in 0.02115 seconds with 8 queries