View Single Post
Old June 18, 2013, 09:21 PM   #4
mmb713

I use the FCD for 9mm and 45 Auto for pistol and 357 Magnum and 45 Colt for revolvers. For the pistols I've had best results, and the caliper micrometer measurements at the case mouths confirm this, by doing it this way: raise the press ram with shell holder to the top. Screw in the FCD until the die body touches the shell holder and back off the crimping stem. Lower the press and then raise a cartridge with a seated bullet into the die body and lower the crimping stem until it touches the case mouth. Lower the press handle and then screw in the crimping stem 1/2 turn. Now you're set up for a perfect taper crimp, just enough to iron out the flare. With the revolvers I use a half turn with plated bullets for a nice, light roll crimp that doesn't cut the plating. With jacketed bullets at magnum level loads I'll use a 3/4 turn for a firm roll crimp into the cannelure. Lee's instructions say you can use a full turn with the revolvers but I've found 3/4 to be perfect for a firm roll crimp. My rifle is a T/C Encore with 223 and 7mm-08 barrels and I don't crimp those at all. Can't help you with the rifle crimp die.

Page generated in 0.02355 seconds with 8 queries