View Single Post
Old July 20, 2008, 09:45 AM   #1
bswiv

I think I messed up!!

I've always heard that ignorance should be expensive or painful as it helps one remember the lesson. May be that I've got a expensive lesson on my hands.

Bought a 16 ga SXS marked, "F. Dumoulin & C ( Has a little IB with a underline next to it. ) LIEGE". If what I was able to find is correct this was a better quality ( obviously not like the British) shotgun when it was made. That's from a copy of the "Blue Book of Gun Values". So I don't think it is junk but I am starting to think it has been shot a BUNCH.

Has a nice piece of wood on it and seems "tight" to my untrained eye/hands.

But, and this may be a BIG but!, while looking at it today I realized two things.

1. Under the barrels, right in front of the forend hanger, there is a small ( 3/16?) hole drilled. You can see right up into the space between the barrels through it. What is that for? Is that something that is done when a SXS is reblued?

2. And even more troubling, I noticed around the locking lugs some dimpeling as if someone has taken a punch and tapped the edges of the locking surfaces. Is this a half-assed attempt to tighten the action by a previous owner?

Like I said it seems TIGHT. Does not wobble at all in any direction.

I can email pictures if someone wants to really make me feel bad.

Page generated in 0.03713 seconds with 8 queries