View Single Post
Old August 5, 2009, 04:21 PM   #19
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm sure you can. Could you recognize it in a large department stoire while shopping with your family though? My point is that in a different context, even a familiar sound still may not immediately register. After a second or two, you may realize what it is, but I am submitting that the first thought through your head would not be "gunshot" in an unexpecting environment.
There is a world of difference between "instant" and "a second or two", not to mention how one might define "instant".

"Instant"- Would the absolute, very first actual neural impulses be processed and identified as "GUNSHOT!"? No, probably not, but that's not how I interpret the question.

When I say that I would "immediately" recognize a gunshot what I mean is that I would not be standing there after hearing it thinking "Hm, that must have been a bookshelf.... yes honey, those are nice curtains, we should buy them here...." and not identifying the sound until I hear people screaming. Might there be a moment or two while my brain processes the sound in context with the environment before realizing that it was much too loud to NOT be a gunshot? Yes, but only a moment or two. I consider that to be "immediate" if not "instant".

I've heard plenty of gunshots indoors and outdoors, with protection and without, in vehicles with the gun and outside of vehicles with the gun inside, in larger buildings and in sheds.

NOTHING sounds like a gunshot enough to be confused with a gunshot under typical circumstances.

You might hear something and say "That sounded like a gun...." but if it IS a gunshot then there will most often not be any question, assuming you know what a gun sounds like.

Page generated in 0.02805 seconds with 8 queries