Thread: 45 acp powder
View Single Post
Old September 11, 2005, 03:41 PM   #21
rnovi

Vin and Crazy

Hey Vin and Crazy,

It's funny, I was trying to find the cheapest reload I could find while at the same time trying to find a bullet that would work well with moonclips in my 625. I also wanted a lighter bullet that would have a touch less recoil.

I found Kead on the web and decided "what the hell", ordered 500 each of the 185 gr. bevel edged wadcutters, 200gr. round-nose-wadcutters, and 230 gr. classic round nosers. At $20 for 500 bullets I figured I just couldn't go wrong. I loaded up 100 of the 200 gr RNWC's and headed off to the range...

Technically, the 200 gr roundnoses have a very slight wadcutter shoulder to them. I really wasn't sure they would feed well in the moonclips, but damn was I wrong! These things feed darn near as smooth as full 230 gr. roundnosers! Increadibly soft shooting when loaded over 3.8gr. of clays and a federal standard large pistol primer.

All I can say is that I think I just found my favorite bullet. It feeds well, is more accurate than I am in my given range (2" at 45', two hand hold, unrested), and has light recoil. I honestly can't wait to order up another 2,000 of these things. Absolutely love them.

I can't say how well they work in an Autoloader but they are LOVELY in a 625. As of today, 3.8gr Clays is my favorite load for this bullet. I will be trying some TG soon enough to see how it works.

Final note: yep, it's bullet lube that's causing all the smoke. I have tried a half dozen different lead bullets and every lead bullet smokes like mad. BUT, I tried a moly-coated bullet at one point and it didn't smoke as much. Ranier plated bullets, relatively speaking, were truly smokeless! Just a hair of powder smoke...

Anyways, I am a cheap bastidge. I shood lead 'cuz it's dirt cheap. Kead has a winner in my book here.

BTW, Kead bullets can be found at http://www.keadbullets.com/45_ACP.htm the 200 gr RN wadcutters are about halfway down the page.

"Remember, Eagles may soar but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!"

Page generated in 0.02839 seconds with 8 queries