Thread: Duck Recipes?
View Single Post
Old October 5, 2000, 03:37 AM   #7
Field-dressed

Just got done dressing out a big batch of ducks for the freezer. I like duck... a lot! I choose whether or not to pluck or breast out depending on how well it plucks. If I can get the breast area plucked out in less than a minute or so, I'll go ahead and pluck the whole thing (out to the wing joints) and make a roaster out of it. If there's too many pin feathers I breast 'em out and take the thighs too. For roasting, I like to swab olive oil on the outside, season the whole duck inside and out, and lightly stuff with onions and celery. I crank the oven up to 500, and roast for about 10 minutes (till the skin is a nice golden), then turn down the heat to 400 and bake another 20 minutes or so. If you cut into the breast right along the keel, it should be a nice medium rare. Hmmmm, drooling. For filets I like to sautee seasoned parts in olive oil, butter and minced garlic. The important thing is to not over cook them, the redder the better! Its also tasty to bread and fry breasts and thighs. For seasoning I use sage, thyme, pepper, salt and whatever else moves me. Of course, this applies to ducks other than merganzers, goldeneyes and shovelers (ack!). For these critters you'll need some heavy duty marinade. Then feed them to the dog.

------------------
RKBA!

Page generated in 0.03165 seconds with 8 queries