View Single Post
Old December 27, 2008, 11:51 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Use Topduck's Gunzilla bore cleaner. Let a wet patch sit overnight. It turns carbon cake soft. For a really stubborn case you might need to plug the bore and fill it and let it sit overnight the first time, but everything brushes out fast afterward. The inventor told me his chemist told him that it breaks down carbon bonds exceptionally well. It is also a safe vegetable-based product. He said that when he was first testing his labels he left them outdoors at his home and the deer kept coming up and licking the bottles. It is designed not to leech oils from your skin. Very good gun cleaning product. It's only limitation is it does not attack metal fouling very hard.

My AR builds up a ring of carbon cake at the end of the neck portion of the chamber. No amount of brushing or even using abrasive bore compounds would remove it. One overnight wet with Gunzilla and the next day it brushed right out. I have a borescope, so I was able to see that this was genuinely so.

Slip2000 makes a product called Carbon Killer that should also work, but it won't be as safe a chemistry. Their gas piston and parts cleaner is a super agressive version that I tried for getting M1 Garand op-rod tips cleared of carbon cake, but it is so aggressive that after a half an hour or so it partly attacked the Parkerized finish. It is not to be used casually. I hadn't discovered Gunzilla yet at that point. Today I would just soak in Gunzilla. Ed's Red is also supposed to do some carbon dissolving, but I've not tried it on carbon cake. See my post in this thread to download the Ed's Red formula.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; December 27, 2008 at 12:00 PM.

Page generated in 0.02793 seconds with 8 queries