View Single Post
Old January 13, 2014, 11:45 AM   #14
wpsdlrg

Unfortunately, scope choice (and magnification) are often predicated on the silly notion that higher magnification will enable one to shoot more accurately. Actually, within limits, the opposite is true. Magnification should be chosen based on the distances involved. A 100 yard shot needs no, or very little , magnification (unless the shooter is so blind that he/she shouldn't be shooting beyond handgun distances anyway). But, a 600 yard shot will require a good bit of magnification, for most people. Of course, the choice of magnification is an individual one. I always have to chuckle, however, at the guy using a long range target scope , cranked up to 12 or 24X, for hunting (or target shooting) at 200 yards or less. Silly.

I found, for myself, that approximately 1X, per 50 yards of distance, was optimum. Thus, 2X was perfect for about 100 yards. As my shots on game were never beyond 250 yards, I always preferred a fixed 4X scope.

I no longer hunt, but I do continue to shoot targets, out to 200 yards. I also switched back to iron sights, albeit ones of my own design. I find that I am just as accurate, on balance, at 100 to 150 yards as most people using 3X - 9X scopes.....so I guess I must be doing something right.

Page generated in 0.03788 seconds with 8 queries