View Single Post
Old March 28, 2009, 06:13 PM   #1
KC Rob

#1 Rule of Concealed Carry

Carry your gun.

I admit that I sometimes get lazy and don't carry when I leave the house. I'll give myself the old "I'm just running to the store real quick" excuse or come up with another reason why I don't need to have a gun with me.

This really hit home last week when a gentleman in my neighborhood was murdered on his morning walk. For those of you in the No. VA area, I am sure you heard about this. Basically a gentleman in his late 50's, former Green Beret and concealed carry permit holder was walking with his wife in Loudoun county VA, about as crime free, upscale neighborhood as you could find (Loudoun county is the 2nd richest county in the U.S. right behind neighboring Fairfax Co.) when he was attacked by several thugs for unknown reasons. He was beaten to death and his wife was so severely beaten she has not yet been able to speak and was in critical condition last I heard. It was around 5:30am on a walking path alongside a major road and right alongside homes. In fact the police were called because people in those homes could hear the fighting. The police arrived to find him dead and his wife on the opposite side of the 4 lane road where she had run to escape to the assault before she collapsed in the back yard of a home after scaling a 4 foot fence. Police are saying they have no leads, no motive and it appears to be completely random. It happened about 2 blocks from my house. No one knows what exactly went down but I have to believe that if he had been carrying his weapon there is a chance things would have ended up differently.

So, I am going to stop making excuses and carry my weapon every time when I leave the home so that my wife doesn't have to explain to my kids why daddy is not coming home. It just goes to show that there is no such thing as a "bad neighborhood", if it can happen here, it can happen any where.

Page generated in 0.02425 seconds with 8 queries