View Single Post
Old January 27, 2013, 12:17 AM   #10
F. Guffey

Partial neck sizing with the versatile full length sizer: Back the die off top prevent the shoulder of the die from contacting the shoulder of the case. .050 thousands gap between the bottom of the die and top of shell holder will prevent the die from contacting the the case body and or case shoulder. I combine neck sizing with minimum case body sizing, I determine the difference in length of the chamber from the bolt face to the shoulder of the chamber then size the case to off set the difference in length between the chamber and case.

The full length sizer die is a versatile die, by adjusting the case up or the die off the shell holder I size cases in 26 different length from short chamber by .012"- to .014"+ between the head of the case and shoulder.

"As far as the crimping seating die (ie .303 British) that I do not crimp the projectiles, it takes 3/4 turn before the crimp stops touching the case, this works out at 0.054" using those useful diagrams. The Redding shell holders only go to 0.010" is there a solution to this?"

Backing the seating die off to prevent crimping is necessary, if you acquired a feeler gage for measuring gaps between the die and shell holder you could make repeated adjustments. Most secure the lock ring to the die, I don't, I secure the die to the press with the lock ring meaning I adjust my dies every time I use them. You are correct, Redding Competition shell holders are acquired when used with the seating die. redding Competition shell holders are nice, not necessary, neither is grinding the shell holder or base of the die, and no, the redding Shell holders were not designed to be an alternative to grinding one or the other.

Back to sizing the 303 British, backing the full length sizer to neck size and prevent the die from contacting the case body and shoulder will decrease case stretch. It is possible for some reloaders to determine the length of the chamber from the bolt face to the shoulder/datum then adjust the die to prevent excessive sizing. Again, nothing beats the feeler gage, first I determine the length of the chamber.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02239 seconds with 8 queries