View Single Post
Old May 21, 2010, 09:40 PM   #79
44 AMP
Staff

Boy this one turned into a lot of chest thumping and ....well, you get the point.

The tools used by the professionals today ought to be better than the ones used generations ago. After all, we have had decades to study the matter and design and built a better mousetrap, right?

What does surprise me is that today's premier fighting handguns aren't all that much better than a 1911A1.

Quote:
Once you start questioning the intelligence of a Marine Captain ...
As a former Army soldier, I question the intelligence of all Marines. As I'm sure they did (and do) for all soldiers. Its part of what the service fraternity, and rivalry is about. Deal with it and move on. (and just for the record, I served and trained with Marines, back in my day. I know who and what we were then, and though the scenery has changed, and some of the toys, its still who and what we are today.)

On the other hand, some of the brash statements make me question you personally. Thanks for your opinion. Pride is a fine thing, but arrogance is unbecoming, especially in an officer.

What worked in the past will still work just as well today. Are there more modern designs that could give you an edge, yep. And lots of difference of opinion about which one is "best". But don't come off implying that what stopped the Waffen SS and Viet Cong won't work as well on the folks you are dealing with today. That level of arrogance just belittles your arguments about...well, everything.

Now, I'm a broken down old phart, who can't PT 20klicks before chow and doesn't dry shave with a K Bar. My kids are doing that kind of thing now. But back when I had a reason to depend on a pistol, the 1911A1 never failed me. And I don't think it will now.

Thanks to all for their opinions, and for those currently serving, no matter the branch or location, I will not say thank you. I don't believe its right to say thank you for doing your duty. I will say, I respect you for doing that duty, and I will keep you in my prayers.

Page generated in 0.03639 seconds with 8 queries