View Single Post
Old May 7, 2006, 01:43 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Tips

Buy a book. Buy another book. And another. Read them all.

ABCs of reloading is a great start. Also get two or three loading manuals. You will see the differences in loads from different manuals. These guys do a lot of testing, and their loads are safe, IN THE GUNS TESTED. They all say that, because it is true. Every gun is an individual. there are so many variables involved in ammo you load, that some "published" loads may be too hot for YOUR gun. The books will all tell you to start low and work up CAREFULLY.

Don't blindly accept loads you get from someone on the internet. Don't assume loads in manuals from 30 years ago will be safe. Learn about pressure signs. The reloading manuals will give you a fair background to begin with. The actual reloading is not difficult. The devil is in the details.

Basic equipment Press, dies, shellholder, scale, manual(s). You can load ammo with just these items, but it becomes pretty tedious in short order.

All the major reloading manufacturers offer "kits" (beginner, and advanced) that contain all the basics, and the nice to haves. And each company has its own colors! Red, Blue, Green, Orange, and maybe some others.

I personally favor RCBS and LYMAN equipment. This is not the absolute cheapest, it is what I like.

Best advice I can give you is read some, and then ask some more questions. I started reloading about 35 years ago, and boy did I make some mistakes! I was also lucky. I have learned quite a bit, and I still find things to learn. It is part science, part art, and (for me) all fun. If I can help you avoid some of the mistakes I made, so much the better. You can make your own mistakes, and with luck, they will all be little ones. It is not something to be scared of, but it is something to be treated with respect.

Page generated in 0.02133 seconds with 8 queries