View Single Post
Old November 21, 2001, 11:43 PM   #2

Any dog that has been made a member of the family and is treated with respect and love will make a good protection dog. By that, I don't nessessarily mean by physical attack but in the sense that the dog is on duty 24/7 with extremly keen senses. It will alert you to anything out of the ordinary long before you would ever be aware of it. Many people worry about self defense guns, alarm systems, cell phones, pepper spray etc. then ignore the ultimate alarm system. I feel a change in myself whenever I sleep away from home. Now I have to listen for noises etc. at home I know that is taken care of. Obviously this can't happen if the dog is chained up in the back yard etc.
I am no dog expert but was involved in a Shutzhund club for about a year. I see no reason why a collie couldn't perform all the exercises nessessary for a Shutzhund titile and perform those skills if needed at home.
In your poll I rated the collie as the worst protection dog of the choices you gave. My reasoning was this: All three of the other dogs you mentioned have been chosen above all others for generations to perform the exact functions you desire. This isn't coincidence. In other words, the people who really are experts chose those dogs because they have proven to be the best at it. The Rottweiler also shares some of the characteristics you mentioned; It was bred for herding. The roman legions used what is now know as the rottweiler to heard live animals behind their armies before the invention of MREs. The city of Rottweil Germany was founded by the romans and the rottweiler dog was left there and thus took on the name. Obviously it also protects the herd against attacks by other animals and has the size to back it up. This fuction also included human and property protection. When the farmers of Rottweil took their herd to market the dogs herded the animals to the market, then the farmer would tie the money around the dogs neck for the trip home. Prior to buying my dog, I researched the topic extensively. I read several books on dog intelligence and found the German Sheperd and the Rottweiler to by either both in the top 5 or both in the top 10 depending on what book you were reading. I don't recall the other two breeds standing. If I was going to buy a dog to perform the functions you mention plus be a loving family dog, I would choose the Sheperd. For my lifestyle and my personal taste, I chose the Rottweiler. A more loving and faithful dog, I could not ask for. He also twarted a home invasion proving his worth and earning his keep for his lifetime.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.

Page generated in 0.03373 seconds with 8 queries