View Single Post
Old February 17, 2009, 12:44 AM   #2
Antihero47

Quote:
Have a question about reloading data for 308 winchester.

I was looking at different websites for reloading and still can't find the one site that has it all.

I have IMR 4064 powder.
I was reading that Lapua brass is the best, but that winchester brass is very good for the money.

Now I want to try Sierra Match King bullets in the 150-168 grain range.
On the IMR website, they show data but have no manufacturer of primer or case. They also don't have a case trim to length. They also don't list the test rifle. My rifle is a remington 700 sps varmint which has a 26" 1:12 twist barrel. I am not sure if barrel length is important for reloading data. (24" vs 26")
The difference in cartridge does not matter when it comes to how much powder to use. They all pretty much have the same volume inside the cartridge. The only cartridges that do not have the same capacity are military cartridges. Where you should either drop your charge about a grain and a half, or just start up from starting load and work your way up. Military has a smaller capacity due to being thicker, which increases pressure.

Use the data that is provided by the manuals, as they are not actual blueprints to follow, they are guides. I would recommend that you load your rounds to the specified C.O.L. for the load your looking at for a bit, until you got everything down. You seem like you are ready to just jump in a little too fast. Reloading is all about patience and attention to detail.

2" of greater length to the barrel is not a bad thing, the longer the bullet has in the barrel the greater velocity it is able to achieve. So expect your velocity to be about 50 - 90 FPS faster then the data says.

Quote:
The sierra manual, has everything except that they use federal cases, and I heard that federal cases are not good for reloading because they are too soft... I am not sure if I can use that data and substitue for another case such as say Winchester or Lapua.
The only real difference is that lapua brass comes a little more iniform when it comes to brass weight and it has been said that they last a bit longer, but I believe that has to do with how your loading it.

Quote:
I also checked out, Hodgdon reloading manual. It shows winchester case and federal primer, but has a 24" barrel test.. Since I have a 26", not sure what to make of that. It also has a max load of 45.9C. Not sure what the c is for. Also does not have trim to length.
Using any Large Rifle primer should be fine. Match primers are also available. Do not use Magnum Large Rifle primers unless a load calls for them. When changing loads make sure to change one thing at a time... if you change primers, drop back your powder charge and work back up. Look for excessive pressure signs.

The 'C' next to powder charge weight means that when you charge a case with that much powder and seat a bullet, the bullet will actually start to sit on top of the powder and compress the powder. Usually you see the max loads compressing. Just be careful.

Quote:
I still didn't check out the SPEER manual. Anybody have that one?
I am basically trying to find load data, that has all the data, and manufacturers listed.
Like I said, loading data is not instructions, you do not follow them to the 't'. You use the amount of powder usage, and the seating depth and you use that with your brass and your primers. Match ammo is much more complicated.

Page generated in 0.03117 seconds with 8 queries