View Single Post
Old April 27, 2011, 11:07 AM   #35
MLeake

Jim Keenan,

I'm not from NYC, though I've had relatives live for a while in Brooklyn, and my BIL still works in Manhattan.

I've met a couple of NYPD guys (and some FDNY, too) over the years. Most were pretty good guys. (My best friend's Uncle Louie was retired NYPD; never saw a worse guy for printing - liked SOB carry, under a sweater, at least, as an old retired guy he did. Every time he leaned forward to tie a shoe, etc.... We still call printing badly an "Uncle Louie.")

Looked up Federally issued weapons, looks like you were correct, as of 1970.

FBI used to issue the Browning HiPower to their HRT guys, but I don't know when that started. From a quick google, looks like that started in 1983, so not in 1970. Looks like standard issue in 1970 was a 4" S&W Model 19, or 4" S&W Model 10.

Looks like the Model 19 and 10, in 4" and 2.5" versions, were also used by US Marshals, State Dept Diplomatic Security, and Border Patrol in 1970.

FBI currently issues the Springfield TRP 1911 to HRT. I realize that's in the here and now, but at least one agency authorizes and even issues a 1911, in limited numbers.

Question, though - did those departments put limits on what their agents carried off-duty?

Page generated in 0.03933 seconds with 8 queries