View Single Post
Old June 3, 2012, 06:09 PM   #50
Misssissippi Dave

There are advantages of a progressive and draw backs as well. If you are going to start with a progressive I would suggest reducing problems a little bit. Once you take out the auto advance feature you can get more control to correct problems if they come up. The Dillon 550b does not have the auto advance feature. You do it manually. The time it takes to load ammo when you advance by hand is so small it doesn't make much difference how rounds you load per hour.

You can also load one round from start to finish without putting in more cases to come close to what you can do on a turret press.

It isn't cheap to get the Dillon 550b. I do suggest going slow while you learn the process and recheck your work. I like to load up a lot more ammo than I think I will need before I switch to another caliber. I like to not switch calibers often so I leave it set up for a few months for a given caliber to life easier. I am considering getting a Dillon Square Deal press just so it will be set up for a single round I load.

Progressives are more complicated to use then a single stage press. Someone having mechanical abilities and taking their time to understand what needs to be done and when could start with one and be happy.

Page generated in 0.03182 seconds with 8 queries