View Single Post
Old May 1, 2000, 08:03 PM   #18
Gopher .45

Since I am not LEO and am not even in a high risk job, location, or often travel in those areas, training is on and off depending on time available and range rules. I shoot at least once a week. Sometimes it is simply bulls-eye and trigger control type practice and switching hands. If no one is on the range but me, then I set up several targets and do holster drills from a concealed and from an unconcealed holster. With the multiple targets, I practise shooting while moving laterally (lanes are open, not stalls). Once a month or so, I rent the tactical range and get to "play" in all of its forms from run & shoot, turn and shoot, multiple targets, from cover, tactical reloading, combat reloading, etc. I even load the magazines with the occasional snap-cap to work on jam/misfire drills while going through the scenarios.

I don't know that I would call all of this training per se. I have a very good time with all of it. Even a bad day shooting is still better than a good day of working. The only goal that I have is to be faster and more accurate than whatever a situation may call for (including just running away). I figure my bad days are the best guage of my abilities when I am at the tactical range because they will probably more closely approximate stress situations than my calm days which are usually higher scoring. Here lately, the bad days this year are starting to look like the good days I was having last year.

Now if I just had a partner and a timer, then life would be great...

Page generated in 0.04546 seconds with 8 queries