View Single Post
Old March 13, 2009, 05:47 PM   #64
gretske

Vanya -

I see your point, but, as you said, whoever the professor reported this to should have carefully and thoroughly qualified it. If, as the case is, the "qualifier" determines that it was a simple presentation that Mr. Wahlberg made proposing legalized carry, and there were no other indications, then they still should not have acted on it. Acting on the fact that he was only taking a position is harassment. Gun ownership is not illegal, nor is suggesting that students should be allowed to carry on campus. We cannot allow making ideas illegal or the triggers for rousting (ELT*) otherwise innocent citizens. This is inconsistent with the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

At this point, there are some remedies to this. First, perhaps the professor should be charged with filing a false report since there was no crime or potential crime in the making. Secondly, if the ACLU was really concerned with Civil Liberties, they should sue the school and the professor. If a student were brought in for questioning by the police department for advocating abortion, you know the ACLU would be on them like syrup on pancakes.

I understand that you want to give them a pass on this, and believe, "no harm, no foul." But, for me, any compromise of my Rights are always harmful and always foul.

*ELT = Emotionally Loaded Term (I think it is OK to use them. Tom Paine, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, John & Sam Adams and James Madison, among others, did. As a courtesy, I identify them.)

Last edited by gretske; March 13, 2009 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Forgot *ELT

Page generated in 0.02634 seconds with 8 queries