View Single Post
Old February 14, 2013, 02:11 AM   #28
jmstr

I have to say I am one of those who finds the .40 less pleasant to shoot than the .45, in the same size/design of handgun.

I own 3 .40s, and I prefer 9mm or .45acp to them any day of the week. 9mm has more 'snap', but less 'push' than a .45, to me. I like 9mm more for those who are recoil sensitive, as long as you fire normal [non plus-P] loads.

I have a 4" commander 1911 and a few 5" GI-length 1911s. The 4" commander feels nice, but it does take a little more focus to maintain the same size groups and it feels a little more 'lively' in my hand.

I also have a 4" GP100 with the rubber/rose-wood grips on it [not the finger-groove hogue grips]. I can put one or two boxes of strong factory [by which I mean in the 600+ ft/lb muzzle energy category] through it comfortably, but my accuracy starts to drop off around round 75. When I had the finger-groove grips on it I had trouble finishing off a 50-round box.

SP101s will move a lot with full-poer .357mag rounds. A different grip added may help, but it will move.

If you are really recoil sensitive, and not just a flincher [like I tend to be often], I'd stick with a 5" 1911 in .45acp for power and recoil management.

Here is one OTHER option though: M&P .45 full sized.

I was in an accident 10 years ago. I hyper-extended my left wrist. It still aches at times and doesn't have the strength it should. My 4" Commander 1911 makes it sting after 7 rounds when firing left handed unsupported. My M&P 9c makes it sting after about 10 rounds. My other guns do the same thing.

HOWEVER, my M&P .45 does NOT make it sting, even after 20 rounds. Very subjective and unscientific, but the full-sized M&P causes me less pain when firing one-handed with my left hand than any other center-fire gun I own or have shot, so far. This is comparing 9mm to .40, to .45, to .357Sig and the revolver calibers [.38/.357/.44mag]. Of course my .22lr doesn't bother it, but I said center-fired calibers.

Just something to think about if you are like me and have a significant issue that training won't resolve.

Page generated in 0.03673 seconds with 8 queries