View Single Post
Old February 6, 2000, 10:48 AM   #38
Gabe Suarez

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pluspinc:
[B]She claims she would keep blurting the phrase "pistol whipped" at EVERY opportunity and said it seems cops haven't learned from the disasterous use of flashlights as impact weapons

There is great danger in allowing bean counters in dictating our tactical strategies. Striking a suspect (or adversary) is an option that fits a certain situation. If cops haven't learned, I think its a good thing, because its better to be alive explaining yourself, than liability free and in the hospital...or worse.

I for one have struck a number of suspects (and adversaries) with everything from fists to flashlights and shotguns, and even with a car. These instances all required that this be done, or that the criminal be shot.

The problem comes when force is used INDISCRIMINATELY in situations where its not warranted. Remember Force Does Not equal Abuse. Generally, the same force requirements apply as a shooting situation. If you can shoot him, you can hit him, although the reverse is not true.

The problem is made worse when the officer (or citizen) fails to adequately defend themselves and are intimidated by the legal opposition. Preparing to exlain yourself is just as important as preparing to tactically defend yourself.

I've been both sued and been the subject of investigations a number of times, but that doesn't mean that I will stop doing what must be done, whether that calls for justifiably shooting or justifiably striking.

A suitable response to the pistol-whip term would be "Excuse me mam (interrupt her if you must, even if an objection is made, your words will be heard) the suspect (or "robber" don't call him a "defendant")
rushed me, I was afraid for my life, he was moving too quickly and the circumstances were not such that I felt proper in shooting him. I used the only means that he left available to me by his hostile and aggressive actions, and that was to strike him with what I had in my hand."

Remember, lawsuits are certainly bad, but so are funerals..specially if you're the guest of honor.

Gabe

------------------
Gabe Suarez
The HALO Group
www.thehalogroup.com

Page generated in 0.03303 seconds with 8 queries