View Single Post
Old November 22, 2007, 03:23 AM   #1
GLP Standard

Scenario that I need opinions on

Okay, first off, I thought I would add that I'm bored, and just got the idea to post this to see what peoples opinions are, because I can't get over the outcome. This is a real life event. It actually happened to a guy I know, and Ill state facts as they happened in reality. It happened I believe in 1998 to a guy that used to work at the AFB I work on. He was a LEO in Kansas City.

Two off duty Police Officers in Kansas City doing sidework as "Security Guards" at an apartment complex in a marked police vehicle are sitting in their vehicle in the parking lot, its a quiet night, and all of a sudden a pickup truck goes speeding through the parking lot, driving eratically. The two off duty LEO's follow it off property, and call in for backup, and attempt to make a traffic stop. The driver of the pickup truck, a 14 year old kid with a dog gets stuck in a nearby parking lot in the mud. The two off duty LEOs pull in behind him, as backup arrives (making I believe 4 LEOs on scene now) and they all give commands for the driver to shut the vehicle down and step out. Hes non compliant, and keeps rocking the truck back and forth trying to free it. One officer (not the guy from work) steps up to try and open the driver side door to pull him out. He finally gets the vehicle free, and it lunges backward toward the officers, striking the officer that approached the vehicle, knocking him to the ground, before smashing into the police car the two off duty LEOs were driving. He throws it in drive, and tries to pull forward, possibly leaving the potential for running the down officer over (this was never made clear from what ive read) and the officers open fire, killing the 14 year old boy, and his dog.

Now, all that being said, would you consider this a justified shooting? Even if the officer wasnt in any danger of being ran over? I mean, the kid did smash into the police vehicle, he was totally non compliant, and he struck the officer and knocked him down with the vehicle. Not too sure, but I think that could be considered attempted murder, or atleast assault with a deadly weapon. What would you have done differently in this situation?

I won't discuss what happened in too much detail, because I know the guy that it happened to, but if you want me to reveal the basic outcome after a discussion has gone on, I will

Page generated in 0.03255 seconds with 8 queries