View Single Post
Old March 5, 2013, 10:39 AM   #29
F. Guffey

Yesterday, 08:45 AM #24
Bart B.

Posts: 1,752 Guffey, SAMMI does list head space for the .300 Win Mag case. They do for all rifle cases. Check the following SAAMI info noting the red-circled dimensions for what's commonly called "case headspace." Note the .300's got two of them; one for the case belt headspace and one for the case shoulder headspace. Case shoulder headspace is the one most often meant by the term.

Bart B.

Posts: 1,752 Guffey, your comments are exactly what I thought they would be.

All I was doing was referring to the case dimensions measured by gauges made to do so so one could compare the fired case dimension to a full length sized one. Since such case headspace gauges have been available for decades and the term's been used just as long or longer, I thought I would mention it. Your rhetoric doesn't change those facts. Most folks very well understand what I'm referring to and have no problem with it whatsoever.

“All I was doing was referring to the case dimensions measured by gauges made to do so so one could compare the fired case dimension to a full length sized one....”

If that is all your were doing the second post would not have been necessary, Sinclair/Hornady and L, Willis took took liberties when they labeled comparators as head space gages, again, L E. Wilson calls their case gage a case gage.

“Exactly what you thought” You remembered, this is not the first time you have referred to the case as having head space, my cases have a length that is most useful, the length from the shoulder/datum to the head of the case. My chambers have a measurement called head space, SAAMI makes reference to head space in their chamber drawings, they do not use the reference (note) “head space’ in the case drawings. There are chamber gages and there are case gages.

A side note: A manufacturer of reloading tools ask me to agree with him, his rational? He believed the reloading industry would be better off if I agreed with him. I have the luxury of disagreeing, if I am not given the luxury, I take it.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.04434 seconds with 8 queries