View Single Post
Old March 31, 2005, 05:30 PM   #1
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Shelf life of powders?

This was probably a dumb stunt on my part, but here goes. A little over 10 yrs ago, I was really into reloading, and my Dillon 650 was busy darned near every day. Then we moved and the Dillon, along with everything else, remained packed away. The demands of job, family, etc. took all my time and I drifted away from reloading. A couple of weeks ago, I finally bought a decent reloading bench and dug out my equipment. In one box were about eight pounds of various powders including W-231, Bullseye, Herco, IMR, Unique, etc. My question is how stable are these powders, both single based and double based, over time? I've worked with explosives and know the dangers of "sweating" dynamite, etc., but I have no idea about smokeless powders. Until I find out, I'm treating this stuff like liquid nitro. Same question and concerns about primers. What is a safe way to dispose of both?

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie

Page generated in 0.02428 seconds with 8 queries