View Single Post
Old December 11, 2011, 06:43 PM   #37
ClemBert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardy
Is the Goex subs any good? I talked today from a guy from Missippi that owns 2 thousand acres and sometimes hunt w/ inline 209 Thompsons. He told me he and hid group don't use real BP anymore but Pyrodex and BH209.

Only five people have come in store in last 18 months wanting real BP. There are licence fees/ paperwork/ vault-landlord's insurance etc. And -of course there are experienced shooters that already have a line on it.
I assume when you ask about "Goex" substitutes you are asking about BP substitutes...No? Or are you asking about other brands of BP?

The best way to answer the question regarding desirability of BP versus 777 versus Pyrodex is to ask questions of YOUR customers. We all have different requirements and as I'm not familiar with what the requirements of your customers may be it is hard to answer. I can tell you what I would do...

When a customer walked in and asked for Pyrodex I would let them know I have it for sale. However, I would follow up and say "I'm surprised you didn't ask for real black powder...it there a specific reason why you prefer Pyrodex"?

Find out what it is they like about Pyrodex. Some folks might say "I didn't know you can still get real black powder". Some folks might say "I heard real BP is really corrosive". Some folks might say "because I don't like the smell of real BP". Some folks might say "it's just too expensive to buy". FIND OUT THE REASON. Some of what they believe might be true and some it might just be incorrect.

Hardy, if I lived near you I'd show up one day after you got your BP license/insurance or whatever you need with a BATF approved BP box loaded with 25 pounds of real BP and say "Hardy, this is my personal stash of BP. Feel free to sell any amount of my stash. Just reimburse me for what I paid for the powder...keep the profit. When I show up for a pound or two of my powder please give me the key so I can get to some of my powder".

I'm not trying to sell you on the idea of carrying black powder. Rather, I think this is a unique niche you can fill because most individual aren't going to buy power 25lbs at a time and therefore can not get it at a reasonable price to make it work. I can get real BP from my local cap-n-ball firearms dealer. He has Pyrodex and 777 too. However, I have no compelling reason to go buy Pyrodex or 777 from him when I can make a shorter drive to Bass Pro or Gander Mountain and get if for the same price if not cheaper. BUT...he has real BP whereas Bass Pro and Gander Mountain do not. There is one part of the equation where niche and uniqueness come into play.

Page generated in 0.02370 seconds with 8 queries