View Single Post
Old August 18, 2009, 09:27 AM   #6
azredhawk44

There are different ranges, with different sets of SOP's.

I took my NRA RSO class earlier this year and there isn't a guideline for or against it in the NRA materials.

When I run a line as an instructor for the Appleseed program, we have a very strict policy of no sidearms at all, even on instructors, since the class is so inexpensive and our insurance policy was written to allow us to keep it inexpensive.

When I work as RSO at one of the ranges here in town, however, the SOP at that range is to open carry.

There's also different SOP's for the shooters at the line. At Ben Avery, for instance, it's acceptable to carry a holstered and hot firearm from the car to your bench, and to keep it holstered rather than slide locked back on the table during trips down range to check targets during cease fire. The Ben Avery RSO's are prohibited from carrying firearms. At Usery Pass, though, there's no hot firearms allowed at all (except RSO's).

It's all based on decisions made by the head Rangemaster or the policy committee that puts together the range Standard Operating Procedures, and largely focuses around insurance.

Page generated in 0.03249 seconds with 8 queries