View Single Post
Old January 30, 2009, 07:39 PM   #1
Kleinzeit

Buying a Ruger 22/45 - But which one?

Hi folks. I'm new to handguns (took NRA Basic Pistol course last weekend) and I'm looking for my first purchase. After reading a lot of opinions, my thoughts are going this way:

1) Narrow my choices down to a .22 because:
a) I can get a decent practice gun cheaper;
b) cheaper ammo means more time at the range;
c) easier to develop marksmanship;

2) Narrow down to Ruger or Buck Mark because there are so many people who are so damn passionate about these .22s;

3) Narrow down to Ruger because I'm on a tight budget and they seem to go for about $100 less than the Brownings;

4) Narrow down to 22/45 style because I would like my practice to be readily transferable to a larger caliber gun later on;

5) Narrow down to the shorter barrel lengths for the same reason.

Now, if you have any objections to this train of thought, I'd like to hear what you think.

If not, my question concerns the 4" and 4 1/2" Rugers. The 4 1/2" has fixed sights; the 4" has adjustable sights, but a shorter sighting radius, and I'm wondering if it maybe also has a lower intrinsic accuracy for being so short. So, how do I choose between them?

So that's a long question and maybe I'm coming at this all arse backwards anyway. Maybe the feel of the gun is more important than all this. I dunno. Share your wisdom with me! Thanks.

Page generated in 0.02981 seconds with 8 queries