Thread: 1st handgun
View Single Post
Old February 21, 2013, 05:26 AM   #1
fragtagninja

1st handgun

Hello everyone I am getting ready to purchase my first handgun and have been given a lot of info and could use some help sorting it all out.

#1 action. I am going to buy a semi auto. That said da/sa /or striker fired? What are the pros/cons? I have heard that striker guns are less reliable than hammer actions and more likely to fail in the cold. Is this true? I live in MI and it gets cold here. I have also noticed that local pds tend to go for hammer guns.

#2 caliber. My dad retired before the introduction of the 40 cal in le and has never shot one but all the guys I know on the pd love the 40 cal. My dad did have plenty of 9mm pistols and was happy with them but also liked the 1911 he was issued as an mp. The leos I have talked to all say the 9mm lacks stopping power, but the .45s just don't have the ammo cap I'm looking for. I am however worried my wife would not be able to control the recoil of a .40.

#3 brand. My father has recommended sig, s&w, h&k, beretta, but some of the rugers have caught my eye along with the fn models.

#4 capacity. I'm not going to bet my life and or my wife's on less than 12 rounds.

#5 models. The sigs that have caught my eye are the p226 & p229. H&k p2000. S&w m&p. Beretta 92a1 & 96a1 & px4 though I have heard bad things about the px4. Ruger sr series. And the fnx 40 or 9.

So how to narrow this down when I like them all? The most important thing is it be reliable and accurate.

So advice? And please no caliber wars. I'm looking for info that comes from experience good or bad if possible factual evidence. Thanks in advance everyone.

Last edited by fragtagninja; February 21, 2013 at 05:54 AM.

Page generated in 0.04728 seconds with 8 queries