View Single Post
Old February 20, 2013, 09:53 AM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

I have the Dillon, also. RCBS now also has a bench mount type available, too. I've not had an opportunity to compare it. The Dillon can be rigged with a wire and rubber bands or spring to automatically raise and lower the anvil (search YouTube videos) or to actually eject finished cases. It does not appear to me from photos that the RCBS will be as easy to rig up that way, but I can't be sure without playing with one.

I also have a Wilson trimmer for my odd chamberings that I don't want to buy Giraud parts for, and the reamer tool that is an accessory for it.

The difference: the swager pushes the excess brass out radially. This raises the height of the brass around the pocket into a slight crater rim. You can rub a swaged case over a flat surface or piece of sandpaper to see this highlighted. When you fire the round the raised perimeter is flattened back out. Once in a while it flows back in enough that I have to swage a case a second time, but not often.

I have also used the swaging tool on new bulk brass that had tight pockets. This was some IMI Match .45 Auto brass that was so tight I had trouble getting my Dillon press to seat primers into it. I cannot imagine taking the time to hand ream a couple thousand new .45 cases. Too tedious. The Dillon fixed it right up. It is also useful to run cases through it if you have primers that are harder to seat than average.

The Wilson reaming tool makes the cleanest and easiest to seat primer pocket profiles. They come out almost mirror finished and primers practically glide in. If I want to "feel" the primer touch bottom perfectly, that's the tool I turn to. Pretty much that's limited to long range loading for bolt rifles. Good thing, because after doing twenty, the knurls on the Wilson's knob have my fingers getting red and sensitive. It's not a high volume tool.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.03700 seconds with 8 queries