View Single Post
Old December 14, 2012, 09:40 AM   #58
Gaerek

Quote:
Funny youd be hard pressed to show me more than a handful of infantry troops that don't use them.... weird for something so mediocre... or is in 30 years of technology's things have come a long way..
In that case, I'm going to start carrying my M4 with me everywhere, wearing body armor, and can't forget the helmet. I need to find some grenades and probably some flashbangs.

There's lots of stuff soldiers use on a daily basis. Most of that stuff are things we'd never even dream of carrying in our day to day civilian life. They have a specific mission they are trying to accomplish with rules of engagement that are completely different than ours.

Besides, the lasers that are mostly used by our troops aren't the same thing we'd carry. They are mainly used as laser designators to "paint" a target for an aircraft above. Most (maybe all now?) can only be seen in infrared, so you need NVGs for them to even be used as a sight, and it also won't draw a line back to your gun (assuming the bad guy doesn't have NVGs). Yes, most troops have them. No, most troops don't use them in the way you're thinking. (Source: Brother-in-Law, Major in the Army, 3 tours in Iraq, 2 in Afganistan)

By the way, how many of them have lasers on their M9s? Very few...if any.

Quote:
People always resent technological innovations at first
Good thing laser sights have been around for 30ish years for people to figure if they're useful. (Jury is STILL out!)

Page generated in 0.03481 seconds with 8 queries