View Single Post
Old September 26, 2005, 03:55 PM   #1
Ronny

In defense of life only? or....

I probably should have asked this to my instructor when I was taking the CHL class. We were taught that the only time it is lawful to draw your weapon and shoot a perp was in defense of life only (IDOL), and even then only after taking steps to prevent, de-escalate, or avoid the confrontation. That's all well and good if you have your CHL...

What if though, given the circumstance that a person does not have a CHL yet carries concealed comes to such a confrontation and is forced to use his weapon given that his life was clearly in danger and he did everything in his power to try and avoid/de-escalate the situation.

For argument's sake, here's a sample scenario -- assume no witnesses, and that this occurs in Florida under present law: A man and his wife are walking home from the movies one night. The woman is illegally carrying a concealed weapon. They are confronted by an armed perp who demands their money --the perp has a firearm. Both comply without resistance. The perp then demands the woman to follow him at gunpoint to his car down the alley. She and her husband ask if there isn't something else the perp would rather have, offering car keys and such. The perp responds by shooting her husband and forcefully grabbing her. In fear of her life and her husbands, the woman draws her weapon and makes it clear that she will shoot the perpatrator if he moves and instructs him to lower his weapon. The perp promptly attempts to shoot her, but she beats him to it and fires three rounds into him center mass, killing him (her hubby taught her well). The perp's family, grieving his loss, files suit against the woman.

Given the situation above, I hope my fellow forum readers will take the time to answer my foremost questions:

1. Will the law crucify this woman for carrying a concealed weapon which resulted in the death of the perpatrator?
2. What is the best course of action for this woman? Should she have drawn her weapon, or obliged the perp to his demands knowing that she shouldn't even have a gun in the first place?

Page generated in 0.02939 seconds with 8 queries