View Single Post
Old May 7, 2008, 09:31 AM   #7
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Know you got shot, but stay in the fight. One of the other students trained in a martial art where you move with the strikes to absorb the impact - this had gotten so reflexive that he knocked himself over when shot with simunitions. Don't train in something that gives you bad habits.
Yeah, okay, but how do you know it gives you bad habits when what it teaches is good for its discipline? How do you know the moves you have learned for years in one discipline will be counterproductive in some other discipline you take years later down the road?

It is sort of like saying, "Don't make a mistake." Nobody tries to make a mistake (it isn't a mistake if you do it on purpose). They try to do things right and they don't work out for some reason.

Quote:
Keep your gun topped off - especially for me as a 1911 guy (for now, at least, this may change as a result of this course). You run through rounds fast and several times I was asked at the end of the scenario how many rounds were left in my gun - I didn't know (turned out to be 2, 1 and 0 remaining), and I still had a full, spare mag on my belt.
Keeping your gun topped off can be fine, or not. The trick is to keep it topped off when you are in a safe position to do so and to top it off because you need to do so. I have watched students over manage their guns such that they have a pocket full of 3/4 loaded magazines that are no longer available for as quick of access as the mags were on their belt...because they over-managed their gun.

Wow, you had zero rounds remaining in your gun so you ended the scenario with a malfunction (failure to lock back on empty)? That is scary.

Page generated in 0.02755 seconds with 8 queries