View Single Post
Old April 12, 2012, 09:27 PM   #8
phil mcwilliam

I'm 47 years old & have been hunting for most of those years. I'd never shot anything in a rifle larger than a 30-06 until last year when I went hunting in Zimbabwe.
The guide provided myself & a mate with a .375H&H Magnum. On the first day we sighted the .375H&H using the front of the Toyota Landcruiser as a rest. I went first & recalling all I'd heard & read about the hard kicking .375, I shouldered the rifle with fear & trepidation & fired a 3 shot group. My mate went next.
We both agreed this rifle, being a heavy barrel, actually kicked less & was quieter to shoot than our 30-06's back home. On this 2 week plains game hunt to Zimbabwe a 30-06 became available for us to use, but we both decided to keep hunting with the .375's.
I've been contemplating getting a .375H&H myself, but would look at getting a heavy(10 pound) rifle, which I know makes the .375 a pleasure to shoot.
The .375H&H mainly punches big holes through anything you shoot. We even used it on Duiker, a small 2 foot high deer, with the same result- large hole punched through, but you would probably get more meat damage & destruction using a .243 or .270 for the same shot on such a small deer.
My mate & myself took Eland, Wildebeast, Giraffe, Zebra, Impala, Warthog, Duiker & Baboon with the .375 H&H & it performed superbly.

Last edited by phil mcwilliam; April 12, 2012 at 09:38 PM.

Page generated in 0.03551 seconds with 8 queries