View Single Post
Old July 15, 2012, 10:13 PM   #13
wyop

If you really just want a new rifle, then go get yourself a new rifle.

Don't try to justify it in your mind with some mythical shot on game.

Living in Wyoming, I get to see quite a few elk. I even get to see moose. There's actually few elk shots I've seen on big bulls that are out at 400 yards. Come hunting season, the elk go into some nasty thick timber in Wyoming, confounding most all the guys who are all set up to snipe on elk. I've actually taken long shots on game. I was disgusted with the results. I want my animals "dead right there," as in they never take another step. At 200 yards, I can do this with a .270 or my .338 WM. At 400 yards in actual western wind, neither rifle will guarantee a "dead right there" shot.

As for moose: You'd better think long and hard about what happens after you pull the trigger on those, regardless of what rifle you're packing. You'd better be thinking "How the (*&(*& am I going to get him out of there?!" long, long, long before you drop the hammer on him.

As other folks have said: The .30-06 is plenty powerful enough for elk. With a 200+ grain bullet, it's probably enough for moose. Use some heavier, premium hunting bullets in loads you develop for yourself and you will have a dandy 400+ yard elk rifle. There's nothing you cannot take in the lower 48 states with an '06 if you know how to shoot well.

Now, if you just have a jones to spend $1500 on a new rifle, then let's talk about what floats your boat and we'll help you spend it. ;-)

Oh, and the .338 Lapua Mag? Pffffft. Don't go there. Seriously. If your budget is only $1500, don't even think of going there. If you really, really want to go play with a .338LM, you'd better be at least doubling your budget.

Page generated in 0.02529 seconds with 8 queries