View Single Post
Old October 20, 2005, 04:23 AM   #7
Low Key

loco

I have a pietta myself, (if you check my thread "everyone loves pictures" there is a picture of it on that post). Just reading back through some old posts on this forum, I've seen where some people dont like the pietta and say that it is poorly made and has all kinds of problems, but personally I am very satified with my pietta. Several people say that Uberti is top of the line for the 58 replicas and I would like to buy one next year for comparison (and I'd just like to have another 58, mine is a target version and I'd like to have the fixed sight version as a contrast).

As far as power goes, they say that the old cb revolvers were about equal to a 38 spec. but I think they have more than that. I'm gaining a respect for what a round lead ball can do to a target. Some of the balls that I have dug out of my backstop (which was a 10 in diameter log before I shot it to death ) have sunk in 3-6 in and have flattened out nicely with some wicked sharp edges. I've used the 58 for some snakes, but not for large animals like deer or anything.

FWIW, I've seen in an old post where someone (444) listed some figures from a lyman black powder shooting guide showing the balistics of a 58 Rem with 37 gr. of fffg black powder as being 1096 fps and 326 ft/lb of energy, if thats correct then its about in the same range as a .40 s&w. I shoot 30gr of 777 which is about equal to 36gr of blackpowder if my research is correct. You know how it is though, I just like the old 58 and when you like a gun you go looking for reasons to justify your liking for it. But what it boils down to is the 1858 is just a cool gun! I'm sure that Mike agrees with that!

Page generated in 0.03625 seconds with 8 queries