View Single Post
Old October 18, 2005, 07:04 PM   #2
Hafoc

According to the Brownell's catalog, one of the conversions (at least) is a two-piece drop-in unit. What this means is you load cartridges into the cylinder, put a back plate on it, put the cylinder and back plate into the revolver, and fire away. No further conversion of your 1858 would be required, although I see they have parts to do a more complete job if you wish.

Cartridge conversions are interesting arms from the Old West era, in their own right. I suppose some people just like them. Also, if you already have a Remington 1858 you've had tuned and adjusted, it would be nice to be able to fire cartridges in it as well.

I have only read a little about the 1875 Remington reproductions, and what little I read was a long time ago. I'd guess it's like other clones, OK or not depending on which example you end up with. I can't see, though, that it has any great advantage over a Colt clone. I'd guess that's why the 1875 has never sold as great numbers as the Colt-- either in the 19th Century or today.

Page generated in 0.02600 seconds with 8 queries