View Single Post
Old July 27, 2010, 12:35 AM   #14
billinmiss

Since you are from Pa, and may not realize what you are getting into- I will say this. La. is different from the other states in that its criminal code is based on the Napoleonic Code with its prefix of you're "guilty until proven innocent." Now they had to adapt that to our system upon becoming a state, but reluctantly.

The Legal system, unofficially, still runs that way, hence they have the highest inmate population per capita in the US*.
So bear that in mind and know that if you can be railroaded, falsely imprisoned, or framed for a crime in any state it is doubly so in La., mostly because their executive branch is so powerful, again, Napoleonic Code. I learned this at LSU when I went there for a year.

Other than that, keep your nose clean, mind your own business, and you should be all right.

I know these things to be true for I live in Natchez, Ms (about 50-55 mi from Pineville) right across the river from La and know of plenty of folks who have run afoul of La law and ended up in the La Penn. My dad, who passed away two years ago in Nov. was an attorney, that upon learning of my impending move across the river, begged me to reconsider and upon learning of the situation, I did think about it and decided to stay here. I'm glad now that I did.

Open carry is legal there but the quals for CC are among the tightest in the country whereas MS is among the loosest. To me, they seem rediculous.

I have no problem carrying there, but be doubly aware of police presence. You do have to inform if you are asked for ID.

If you have CC permit from PA it may let you carry there(La) but don't tread over here without a La one, as up until today we are not reciprocal yet with Pa.

So, have fun!

*History channel documentary.

Page generated in 0.02352 seconds with 8 queries