View Single Post
Old January 3, 2013, 09:40 AM   #1
SerenityNetworks

Another solicitation for scope suggestions

This is very similar to hundreds of other posts (many of which I've read), but as always my details are just slightly different and (as a relative noob) I would appreciate some experienced opinions. I also asked a similar question sometime back (and got some very helpful answers), but here I'm asking about a different rifle with a different purpose.

Here are my particulars and preferences:
  • CZ-527 in .204 Ruger
  • I intend to hunt PDs (mostly) and Coyotes, as-well-as punch paper towards the purpose of being a better shooter and for fun.
  • I will be learning to reload.
  • Most of my hunting will be in Texas.
  • I currently have a Nikon 3x9-50 ProStaff with BDC reticle on my 30.06. I like it well enough, but don't like the changing drop figures as I change magnification nor the thick crosshairs.
  • (For the above reason) I really like the FFP scopes and I like scopes with fine crosshairs.
  • I've seen the Horus reticle (I think it was on a NightForce) and really like the whole concept. I can wrap my head around the math and the 'clutter' on the objective doesn't bother me.
  • For the above reason, I'm thinking of the Horus Preditor, although I haven't actually seen/used that particular scope. (Yet I'm not keen at all on having just a one year warranty.)
  • I've seen the Zeiss Rapid-Z reticles, which are somewhat in the line of what I'm looking to find (allowing easy holdover and windage), but they only come on the SFP.
  • I do want to learn longer distance shooting (500+ yards), so having a scope I could move to a larger caliber later isn't something I oppose.
  • I understand there are mounts and rings that allow a scope to be moved from rifle to rifle with relative ease and minimal loss of zero. That concept attracts me, as I could purchase and use one good scope versus several lesser scopes.
  • I don't want to overbuy, but I would like to buy something that will match the potential of this rifle (and perhaps a larger caliber for longer distances in the future).
  • I have an absolute limit of $800, although I'm certainly not opposed to spending much less.
  • I've been advised to buy something with at least 20x magnifcation, but then I've also heard 12x is all I need, due to mirage and other factors. It leaves me perplexed. I don't have the opportunity to get out and look through lots of different scopes at a long distance range, so my personal experience options are limited. I do know that even with my old 30.06, I could shoot more accurately if I either had thinner crosshairs &/or greater magnification.
I'm not sure what other information might be pertinent to making a good decision, so please let me know if I've left out some critical factor.

Any experienced advice on scope and ring options will be greatly appreciated. If I can narrow down my options then maybe I can seek out some to go look through.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

NRA Life Member
------------------------
"There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them." - Malcolm Muggeridge

Last edited by SerenityNetworks; January 3, 2013 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Fix Bullets

Page generated in 0.03740 seconds with 8 queries