View Single Post
Old August 5, 2010, 03:47 PM   #3
the rifleer

Well you load much more carefully than i do. I have a ruger old army and I have a small tin with corn meal and a small scoop in it. I have a .38 special shell that when filled to the top is almost exactly 30 grains and that is my powder measure (i have a real powder measure, but loading the shell is faster because I just fill it to the top). I have a spout on the powder than fits and i fill the case up to 30 grains and put it in the chamber. I then put a little bit of corn meal in and seat a cast .457 ball that i mold myself. I just put the #11 caps on and dont pinch them or anything.

I have this method down pretty good and can reload relatively fast (probably less than 3 minutes). Accuracy is acceptable. I can get a guestemated 5'' group at 30 yards. Its not great, but thats what you get when you load fast. If i use store bought swaged balls and measure the powder precisely the groups shrink an inch or more. I've heard that lowering the charge to around 24 or 25 grains is the most accurate load, but the shot drops considerably more at 25 yards and has a noticeable power loss.

I usually just shoot soda cans and swinging targets anywhere from 10 to 40 yards. I could work up a load and i know i could get better accuracy, but I like to spend more time shooting than reloading.

Some times I just fill the cylinder to the top, leaving just enough room to cram a ball in and shoot it like that. Accuracy absolutely sucks, but it a ton of fun. Thats the cool thing about the Ruger Old Army is that It can take that kind of abuse. I don't do it very often, maybe the last 2 or 3 shots of shooting session. Its a huge waste of powder, but it is fun to make that much smoke and get a good kick.

I also have made a few paper cartridges for when i go shooting later today. I have never used them, so we will see weather they work or not. I made them out of tea bags.

Page generated in 0.03298 seconds with 8 queries