View Single Post
Old August 14, 2011, 10:59 PM   #1
El Matadurr

S&W 627 Opinions

Hello once again all, it's been awhile since my last post. I'm back with another opinion forum. In the very near future I will have the opportunity to purchase my first handgun. I'm not yet concerned with concealed carry, it will be primarily for home defense, range/action shooting, and some hunting. Before you all go off on tangents suggesting different calibers and brands, know this: I am dead set on the .357 magnum caliber (one of the cheapest magnum rounds/great ballistics) and on a S&W revolver (more reliable than a semi-auto, easy to save casings after firing, and I love the looks of a S&W).

Although money is definitely an object to me, buying things of quality has always been a pet peeve of mine: the higher quality of materials and craftsmanship, the longer something will last--generally speaking. With that said, the S&W Model 627, seen at this link: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y just seems to shout out quality and performance to me. Although at a pricey $1000+ at stores, the five inch barrel strikes a nice balance with sight radius/powder expansion/weight, while the 8 shots gives me plenty of firepower to deal with various situations, especially when it is equal compared to a standard capacity 1911 (7+1 of course). Considering the way I really take care of all the things I buy--mainly keeping them clean and in like-new shape--in my mind this high-end wheel-gun will serve me well.

With all that out of the way, I ask you, will I be doing the right thing by getting this gun? Or will I be better off buying a S&W 6 shot 686 (I've shot this one many a time, great gun as well) or 7 shot 686P, both of which are significantly less in a price standpoint, but aren't made by hand and have a couple less shots? Again, please don't suggest other gun brands, I know that Ruger makes great revolvers as well, and Taurus has a few, but like I said I'm dead set on S&W. See poll, thanks for any and all opinions!

Page generated in 0.03381 seconds with 8 queries