View Single Post
Old September 21, 1999, 11:07 AM   #8
Paul B.

Hal. I believe the proper bore diameter for 44-40 is .427 inch, but I'm not sure. It's too bad we are not in the same area so I could look things over. I really think you should slug your bore and find out exactly what the size is. If it is in tolerence, then we will have to look at other things. I once had a .243 Winchester that would keyhole at 25 feet regardless of whatever bullet I shot in it. It had a Micro-groove type of rifling, and I never did figure it out. I have a standard length carbine (Model 94) in .45 LC and it shoots lead bullets beautifully.
BTW. Unique does leave a lot of ash in the bore. It can be a pain.
I just re-read your post. I wonder why Winchester put a 1 in 32 inch twist for a rifling rate????? I think the reason factory lead ammo shot OK, is the higher velocity. With a barrel twist that slow, I don't think the bullet will stabilize at a lower velocity. Try working up your load in .5 grain increments and see if a bit higher bullet speed takes care of the problem.
I have a .223 the will put 10 55 gr. bullets into a group the size of a dime, but 60 gr. bullets keyhole regardless of the velocity. it has a 1 in 12 inch twist.
Anyway, try that and see if that does it for you. let me know how it works out.
Paul B.

Page generated in 0.03219 seconds with 8 queries