Thread: Bad Practice!
View Single Post
Old October 12, 2012, 01:36 PM   #5
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright
...Both of these practices are time consuming. I daresay I could draw my .44 Single action and get off at least two shots before they fire...
No, not when properly trained and practiced. Standard at Gunsite, for example, is two rounds center of mass, from the holster and including a step to one side, at seven yards in 1.5 seconds. That is using the standard presentation discussed below.

I described the steps of the standard presentation in this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ettin

...[1] You want to achieve a full firing grip before withdrawing the pistol from the holster. You should not have to shift your grip. Throughout the draw stroke, until you are actually going to fire the gun, the trigger finger stays off the trigger, outside the trigger guard and indexed along the frame. 

[2] While the strong hand is moving to grip the pistol, the weak hand is placed flat on the abdomen near the same level as the grip of the pistol. This helps assure that the weak hand isn't swept by the muzzle and also puts the weak hand in position to take grip the pistol over the strong hand.

[3] The pistol is withdrawn straight upwards from the holster, and the muzzle is rotated toward the target after it clears the holster. If using 1911, Browning High Power, or some other gun with a safety engaged, the safety may be disengaged here, but the trigger finger remains off the trigger, outside the trigger guard and indexed along the frame.

[4] When the muzzle is rotated toward the target the strong hand is at about the level of the strong side pectoral muscle and the strong hand is held at or touching the side with the muzzle pointed to the threat. If the threat is very close, within a few yards, the gun may be fired from this position. This is called the retention position. 

[5] At the retention position, the weak hand comes up to assume its part of the grip. The two hands then together extend the gun either fully up to shooting position or partially at a downward angle to the low ready position, depending on the circumstances.

[6] The gun is holstered by following those steps in reverse. I have been taught to follow these steps whenever removing my gun from, or placing my gun in, the holster.

In practice, while learning, one starts off doing the slowly. The goal is to become smooth. Quickness comes from being smooth, as does developing the facility for properly performing the task reflexively, on demand.

Here, the presentation is demonstrated by Charlie McNeese, a Range Master at Gunsite Academy.

Here the presentation is demonstrated by Rob Pincus, another well know instructor and a member of TFL.

Here competitive shooter Max Michel is demonstrating the presentation. He's using competition gear, but the technique is essentially the same. Notice early in the video he's shown shooting dominant hand only with his non-dominant hand against his chest.

Holding the clenched fist of the non-shooting hand against one's chest is now the standard technique taught for one-handed (either dominant hand only or non-dominant hand only) shooting. It gets the non-shooting hand out of the way and anchors the upper body for a solid shooting platform.

When properly learned and practiced it's no slower than any other technique for drawing and shooting with one hand. The non-shooting hand is brought to the chest while the gun is drawn and will be in place no later than when the gun is on target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright
...Who is teaching this kind of gunfighting?
Pretty much all the major schools and instructors.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.02767 seconds with 8 queries