View Single Post
Old October 26, 2013, 10:39 PM   #16
Metal god

OK , went back to the range to confirm the good loads and in fact did confirm they shoot well through my rifle .

Here's the thing . I've now shot 170-ish rounds through the rifle with the action bedded and I don't really see a difference . Yes the rifle is shooting better then it was but I think that has more to do with me making sure the action screws are at a consistent torque then the fact I bed the action . It has not shot the double groups since I've been keeping an eye on the torque as well . I will add I shot 60 rounds yesterday through the rifle and the screws did not come loose ( no locktite ) . It had come loose by then before . Not sure what that means but I have not put to much stock in that at this point .

Sooo I want to be sure there is no difference between the bedded and none bedded actions so I popped the bedding out . I was a little surprised how easy it came out . Light lap with punch and hammer and the whole section popped out ( complete ) . I'm now in the process of working up duplicate loads to do one last test with the rifle set up like it was originally .

My guess is the rifle will do just fine and it is in fact as good as it's ever going to be . I do shoot sub moa with the rifle all the time and yes I do know I should not expect to much more from a stock rifle . It's just when I found I was having the stock issues . I wanted to make sure I tried everything I could do my self to resolve the issue . I believe I've done this .

I'm hoping this whole thing will have come full circle and all I will need to do is keep an eye on the action screws and be sure they are always at the proper torque .

wait a second Did I here that somewhere before

Quote:
Why not just put some Loc-Tite or teflon tape on the screw threads and torque it back down.
Quote:
Hello Metal God- I am with Saltydog on this one. I have 9 Savages now. It seems to be a Savage issue ( loose screws ). I put one dab of Blue Loctite on the screws and it is done.
Quote:
If you want consistantly in receiver to stock pressure, re-torque each screw before you shoot each day.
I'm sure there's a moral to this story somewhere . but like before I refuse to listen - And who knows maybe the gun does not do well on the next test and I start all over . It really was not very hard to do the bedding . It took an hour to bed and 2 min to knock out so no big deal .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; October 27, 2013 at 09:56 AM.

Page generated in 0.03811 seconds with 8 queries