View Single Post
Old June 22, 2013, 10:24 AM   #16
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestarlizzard
Then not a Smith.

*shrug* apologies, I don't know much in the wheel gun world.
Why not?

I have a friend whose wife is a petite ballet instructor. Her carry gun is a Taurus .357 Magnum revolver. When she took her CCW class the instructor handed her an un-tuned piece of junk revolver in .38 Special with a horrible trigger, and she was having trouble hitting the central region of the target. She asked if she could use her own gun instead. When he saw what she had he laughed and said, "Go ahead and try." She shot a ragged one-hole group in the center of the bullseye and the instructor struggled to pick his jaw up off the floor.

But ... she's married to my friend, and he's a gun nut. She knows how to shoot, the class was to get a permit. Small shooters can handle big, powerful guns (to a point), but it's generally not a good idea to start out with one.

The problem, Freedomgirl, is that what feels "right" and comfortable is very subjective. The shop at the range where I shoot sells a LOT of Bersa .380s and 9mms to women for carry. A young woman of passing acquaintance, an Army veteran of Gulf War #1, bought one without trying it first, and she found it to be very uncomfortable. I let her try my CZ-82 (which is an Eastern European, cold war military surplus semi-automatic in 8mm Makarov) and she liked shooting it. It was more comfortable in her hand. But -- the CZ-82 is an all-steel, double stack pistol and the young lady decided it was too big and heavy to haul around in her purse. I know she sold the Bersa, but I don't know what she replaced it with.

My suggestion would be to find a range where there are guns to rent, and try as many as you can to get a sense of what feels good in your hand, and what makes and models you shoot better than others.

Page generated in 0.03513 seconds with 8 queries