View Single Post
Old September 22, 2005, 12:55 AM   #1
kjm

Feeding hogs: I need information

An acquantance of mine at work trapped six hogs last night and has given me two. I will pick them up tomorrow (just before Rita smacks us!). He has told me that neither pig is more than 20lbs. In preparation, I have purchased a bag of sweet-feed (grain coated w/ molasses), and some chicken-wire and a wooden crate to put them in for now. What next?

Specifically, I want to feed them out to about 60-80 lbs each and butcher them. I will likely castrate the boar as soon as I get them and I have performed this operation on domestic swine, so I assume the same applies to feral swine (with a bit more protests). I will then feed them, but what should I feed them?

How long will it take for them to achieve the target weight of 80lbs? What will I require in the way of fencing? Vaccinations?

I figured that somebody else will have done this here. I've been looking forward to doing this but this is my first opportunity. Once I butcher them, I plan on butchering one for consumption, and roasting the other one whole at work for my crews.

As an aside, We'll be spending the weekend with three dogs, nine people a cat and two pigs in our house until the hurricane stops. What a party!

Page generated in 0.03714 seconds with 8 queries