View Single Post
Old May 22, 2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Ben Dover

It worked for me

As old age advanced, it began to take longer to assume kneeling and sitting positions to shoot from. About 15 years ago, arthritis made kneeling impossible.

Since prone is usually impractical in the field, and sitting was taking longer to into, I decided that perhaps it was time to expend serious effort in standing offhand.

I purchased a full case (5,000) Remington standard velocity .22 LR rounds and confined my shooting to off hand only. My .22 is an Anschutz 1416 with a 10X Leupold target scope.

I tried to fire a minimum of 100 well aimed shots per week. On warm weather camp outs, I often fired 250 per day for a week. First at 50 yards then 75, then 100.

I wish that iI could say that it was easy, but it wasn't. When the case of ammo ran out, I purchased another. after a year, I could see a great imptovement.

I then began to limit all rifle pracrice, to offhand, regardless of caliber. The AR-15 equiupped with a Trijicon ACOG is truly a joy to shoot offhand.

I niow feel comfortable shooting at game out to 200 yards offhand. If I have time to overcome the arthritis and assume a sitting position, it's almost as good as having a solid rest! Skill in offhand translates to skill in every position.

I know everyone has heard "practice-practice-practice" until you're sick of hearing it.

But my friends, it worked for me.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.

Page generated in 0.02352 seconds with 8 queries