View Single Post
Old September 2, 2009, 11:11 AM   #3
ISC

Read the OP in the thread I linked to.

My point is that some folks only buy a gun once a year or so.

Another may buy 10 or 15 a year and only keep 1/2 of them in their collection because they didn't like the way some shot or sold the example they bought a year or two ago that was more beat up or had 10% less bluing.

The collector in the second example, may end up selling/trading 5 to 10 guns a year and even make a few dollars off of some of them. It's easy to see how ATF might target him and initiate an investigation.

I have bought a rifle before because I wanted the stock off of it for one I already had. After sapping the stock and keeping the mags, a week later I sold that rifle after installing the beat up stock from my original rifle. Is that "dealer activity"? If ATF sees you buying and selling the same rifle a week later they might think so.

Remember that there is no statute defining what it is to be "dealing in firearms". The guideline references making a significant livlihood or spending alot of time on the guns or something like that. I've heard that about a thumbrule of 6 guns/year, but never actually seen it referenced officially.

My point is that any steps that a person can take to minimize the ease with which an ATF fishing expedition can be done is worthwhile.

Last edited by ISC; September 2, 2009 at 11:22 AM.

Page generated in 0.03923 seconds with 8 queries