View Single Post
Old August 25, 2005, 06:52 PM   #59
chemist308

Truth be told the 308 is probably a bit too much. Worries about the exit would are most likely related to the fact that the bullet hits so fast and hard it goes straight through. You can buy 308 hunting rounds that will mushroom well and have been 'stepped down' a bit for lighter game like whitetail and hog.
To tell the truth I accidently gut shot a deer with mine last year. A hunter who saw the deer pass by said he'd have put it down for me, but there was so much visible damage (guts hanging out) that he figured the deer would go down within a hundred yards or so. I proceeded to track what looked like a 2 mile murder scene--blood and parts of that poor animal everywhere. Lesson learned is shot placement. Use even a 500 Nitro with poor shot placement and you lose the animal. Yet a well placed 22 rimfire round at proper range will drop anything in North America. Oh, and I know there's a bit of a difference here, but when my grandpa wanted to butcher a pig or a bull he used a 22 short to put the animal down.

Page generated in 0.03304 seconds with 8 queries